BATTLE READY; Digital Painting


Digital painting of a warrior in battle. In CS2, I like using gritty brushes to block everything in and then build up the areas of light with more refined brushes—this keeps me from painting too slick and smooth. Anyway, I suppose my detailing of the eyes are too sharp in terms of capturing a true rendering of nature but I wanted the attention focused in that area—so much emotional impact is expressed in the eyes.

As for the indication of gritting teeth, it's just two brush strokes but I re-painted those two strokes over and over to get just the right look. When you look at John Singer Sargent or Anders Zorn it's not just about rendering an image—it's about putting energy into each and every stroke. I think that's what makes painting fun and hard at the same time. The whole process is deciding what to leave in and what to leave out and making sure that everything that remains is there for a reason.

Add to Technorati Favorites

12 comments:

  1. This is incredible! I love the detail you have in addition to the full piece. It looks super detailed but when you look at the larger version you are working with broad strokes and some wild brushes all over the place. The feeling of this is very gripping. Really well done, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great mood and feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. I saw you block this in and work it through to completion and I'm still blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been sketching as many John Singer Sargent paintings as I can---you know, just with pen on paper. To me it's all about capturing light and shadow. Sargent will teach you that. I've learned so much doing that. Vermeer and Rembrandt are great to study as well. They understand light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Just wow. This is amazing. You're such a master at capturing nuances of expression and intensity of emotion by maximizaing your choice of perspective, focal point, color and light. You're such an accomplished visual storyteller. I'm not worthy.....

    -k-

    ReplyDelete
  6. excellent work. I love the play with edges. Really pops this thing out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, Joseph. I see warriors trailing off in perspective but when I really look up close those are just shapes. Abstract shapes. How come your shapes look like something and mine don't? Oh well. I bow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's time you concentrate on gallery work. This is POWERFUL stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. eyes are cool---makes me look there. this is hot! you go from soft brushes to grainy hard brushes and then cross hatching and somehow it all makes sense. a lot of movement. few can pull this off the way you do. thanks for sharing your art on this site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is fine art, man. incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. JOE! Nice work...very very nice work. I love it, in fact,...I'm going to try to figure otu how to legally marry it!
    Speaking of figuring out, I finally have enough time to figure out how to link to site and I'm putting your link on my site so I can look more than once a month!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joseph,

    Thanks for your comment on my Blog. I appreciate it very much. Your work is amazing, WOW.

    Your Digital paintings as well as the oils, they are fantastic.

    Marci

    ReplyDelete